Ford Rouge Factory Tour
The Ford Rouge factory is sometimes referred to as an industrial wonder of the world. It wasn't Henry Ford's first factory but it was the first factory in the world that attempted to be entirely self sufficient, "from ore to auto." This tour showcases the history and legacy of Henry Ford's industrial vision while taking a closer look at what's happening with the Ford Motor Company today.
Tour-goers cannot drive directly to the Ford Rouge, instead they are to meet at the IMAX in the Henry Ford complex (ten minutes from the factory) where buses depart every 20 minutes. The tour is not led by one guide, but it is highly structured and interactive with several guides along the way. Features include two short films, a walking tour of a small part of the Dearborn truck assembly plant (where photography is prohibited), an observation room where you can view the world's largest green roof, and between (April and October) an outdoor tour of the Rouge's sutainable design efforts. It's recommended to allot at least two hours for the tour, including the bus ride to the factory and back.
- Fax: 313-982-6241
- Hours: Mon-Sat, 9:30am - 5pm; Sun, closed.
- Handicap Accessible: Can put wheelchair on the bus. No stairs on the tour.
- Founding Date: 1924
- Ticket information: You can purchase tickets online, over the phone, or at the IMAX in the Henry Ford. Unless you're traveling with a group it's probably best to just buy your tickets after you show up at the IMAX, that way you save a service charge.
- Buy tickets online [link]: www.thehenryford.org/rouge/tickets.aspx
- Student discounts: No
- Senior discounts: Yes
- Private parties: Yes
- Food/drink: No
- Alcohol served: No
- Coat/bag check: Yes
- Parking: Paid lot
- Restrictions: No smoking
- What is an interesting historical or little known fact about this town?: The Rouge Factory is built within ten miles of the farm that Henry Ford called home.
- Guided tours?: No
- Audio tours?: No
- Gift shop: Yes
- Gift shop hours: Mon - Sat, 9:30am - 5:00pm; Sun, closed.
- Cameras allowed?: Yes
- Membership levels: Corporate, Family, Individual