Carnivals and festivals can be expensive. But the City of Dearborn is looking to promote low-cost options for enjoying the 2012 Homecoming Festival Aug. 3-5 at .
Here are some options for a cheap–but delightful–weekend:
- Free giant inflatable rides for bouncing from 12-8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, sponsored by the .
- Free children’s games, including a small prize for kids under 12, from 12-5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Free wacky contests like the apple sauce slurp, pie-eating, hula-hoop and kick the shoe, for kids of all ages on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Strolling entertainers amuse the crowds throughout the festival.
- Free fishing derby. Grab your poles and try your luck at the Ford Field Pond from 8-11 a.m. on Saturday, sponsored and organized by the Dearborn Rotary Club.
- New this year is a on Friday at 9 a.m.-12 p.m. This event is designed for children and adults with special physical, intellectual or emotional needs. Free rides for the Special All-Stars will be offered,with other activities during the three hours. Pre-registration is required by July 31 at www.dearbornareachamber.org.
- For a small fee, children can participate in the Youth All-Star Games from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. on Saturday. On Sunday, Basketball Training Camp is offered from 3-5 p.m. for ages 6-13 with the High School Excellence Program if from 5–7 p.m. Organized by Hype Athletics at the Tennis Courts, these basketball events are a ball!
Additionally, will be available for $13 through Aug. 2 at www.cityofdearborn.org.