Michigan residents won't be the only ones skipping town this Fourth of July–many of the orange barrels will be gone, too.
The Michigan Department of Transportation has announced that, in an effort to make travel easier for motorists this Fourth of July holiday, they're lifting traffic restrictions on 100 of 155 projects statewide.
Beginning at 3 p.m. Tuesday, July 3, and continuing until 6 a.m. Thursday, July 5, MDOT will suspend construction wherever possible on state roads and bridges. However, normal construction lane restrictions will be in place on the weekends before and after the July Fourth holiday: June 29-July 1 and July 6-8.
"We urge all motorists to drive with caution through work zones during this busy summer holiday weekend," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle in a statement. "Be sure to plan ahead, buckle up, and put the cell phone away while driving so everyone gets to their destination safely."
Motorists also are encouraged to regularly check MDOT's popular Mi Drive traffic Web site (www.michigan.gov/drive) for traffic incident alerts, live traffic Web cams, and additional construction information.
Of the work zones with restrictions still in place, several will affect Dearborn area drivers, as well as residents heading out to Camp Dearborn for the holiday:
- I-94 has three westbound lanes open over I-275 with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted.
- I-94 has two lanes open in each direction over M-39 with a traffic shift. The I-94/M-39 interchange will have the following closures:
- Pelham Road ramp to eastbound I-94, and
- Northbound M-39 ramp to westbound I-94.
- M-85 (Fort Street) has two lanes open in each direction between Sibley and Goddard roads.
- US-24 (Telegraph Road) has one lane open in each direction between Vreeland and West roads.
Oakland County (affecting Camp Dearborn visitors)
- I-96 has three lanes open in each direction between Kent Lake and Milford roads with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted. In addition, the following are closed:
- Northbound and southbound Kent Lake Road ramps to westbound I-96,
- Southbound Milford Road ramp to eastbound I-96,
- Westbound I-96 ramp to southbound Milford Road, and
- Southbound Kent Lake Road ramp to eastbound I-96.
For a complete list of closures, visit www.michigan.gov/drive.