Plan on sending your child to kindergarten in Dearborn for the 2013-14 school year? Here are some things you should know.
More: Dearborn Kindergarten Round-Ups Coming Soon
A recently enacted state law changed the minimum age requirement for children enrolling in kindergarten. The changes are set to take place over three years beginning at the start of the 2013-14 school year.
Currently, a child must be five years old before Dec. 1 to be eligible for kindergarten, but that has changed, according to the Michigan Pupil Accounting and Attendance Association:
- For the 2013-14 school year, children must be five years old by Nov.1.
- For the 2014-15 school year, children must be five years old by Oct. 1.
- For the 2015-16 school year, children must be five years old by Sept. 1.
Parents with children who are ineligible for enrollment according to the new standards, but will be five years old by Dec. 1, can apply for a waiver to secure enrollment, according to the MPAAA.
- If the child resides in the Dearborn Public schools district, the application must be submitted to the district by June 1 before the start of the school year.
- If the child becomes a resident of the Dearborn school district after June 1, the application must be submitted to the district by Aug. 1 before the start of the school year.
After a district receives the application, districts can make recommendations to the child's parent or legal guardian, as to the child's readiness for school and early enrollment. However, regardless of a district's recommendation, the parent or legal guardian retains the sole discretion to enroll their child, according to the MPAAA.
If a child becomes a resident of the district after Aug. 1 and before the start of the school year, parents may request early enrollment, but the district is not required to comply.
The waiver is available at:
- All elementary schools in the district
- The Student Services Office located in the Administration Building, 18700 Audette, Dearborn 48124
- On the district’s website: www.dearbornschools.org.