For the 25th year in a row, Dearborn Public Schools saw an increase in its student population according to the unofficial 2013 Count Day numbers the district submitted to Lansing.
Count day, which took place on Oct. 2, is used to determine 90 percent of per-pupil funding from the state, with a winter count day in February making up the other 10 percent.
According to Superintendent Brian Whiston, the district has 19,450 students, roughly 255 above what the district budgeted for the 2013-2014 school year. That number translates into roughly $8,332 for each full-time student enrolled in the district.
"The growth is a very good sign," said Dr. Jill Chochol, associate superintendent of elementary education at DPS. "We're very happy with the numbers."
Chochol said Dearborn is the third largest school district in the state of Michigan and administrators recently hired more than 60 new teachers and instructional staff to accommodate the growth.
Many of the district's buildings are over capacity, which is one reason officials are asking voters to approve a $76 million SMART bond proposal on Nov. 5. As part of the proposal, new classrooms would be added to River Oaks, Geer Park, William Ford, and Henry Ford Elementary schools. Other money would be used for necessary improvements to security, modifications, additions, renovations, technology and transportation at each of the district's 32 schools.
David Mustonen, communications coordinator for Dearborn, said the district still has 30 days to audit and verify all of its enrollment numbers.
Students who may have been absent on the official count day can still be considered enrolled if they are counted within 30 calendar days for an excused absence following count day, 10 school days for unexcused absence following count day, or 45 days for suspended students.