Following several reports of items being stolen out of parked vehicles, the this week issued an alert to residents, reminding them of ways to keep their cars and belongings safe.
"Several of the reported larcenies involved vehicles with unlocked doors or open windows," police said in a Nixle alert. "These recent incidents have occurred primary in the west end of the city."
Here are some tips to keep from becoming a victim of a crime of opportunity:
- Remember to keep your vehicle locked and windows rolled up even if the vehicle is parked in your driveway or in front of your home.
- Park your vehicle in your garage or in your driveway whenever possible.
- Do not leave valuables (GPS Units, MP3 Players, laptops, money, etc) visible in your vehicle. If possible, remove all valuables from your vehicle.
- Never leave any personal information in your vehicle such as vehicle title, registration, or insurance.
- Residents should avoid leaving their vehicles running unattended even for a short period.
- Be aware of your surroundings & trust your instincts
- Watch out for your neighbors
- Report any suspicious people or cars in your neighborhood to the police, including vehicles that do not belong in or are circling the area; unfamiliar people on foot; and people who are observed looking into vehicles or attempting to open vehicles
Residents can report all suspicious activity anonymously to the Dearborn Police Tip Line at 313-943-3030.