So far in January, there have been 25 thefts of parts and accessories from, or of items inside a vehicle, and approximately 19 vehicle thefts, according to Crimemapping.com.
To help residents take the necessary steps to avoid becoming a victim of an unnecessary crime, the Dearborn Police Department would like to remind residents to do the following:
- Remember to keep your vehicle locked and windows rolled up even if the vehicle is parked in your driveway or in front of your home. Recent research indicates that 40% of all reported Larceny from Automobile incidents occurred from vehicles that were unsecured.
- Park you vehicle in your garage or in your driveway whenever possible.
- Do not leave valuables (GPS Units, MP3 Players, laptops, money, etc) visible in your vehicle.
- Never leave any personal information in your vehicle such as the vehicle title, registration, or insurance.
- Residents should avoid leaving their vehicles running unattended even for a short period.
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts.
Residents can also report any suspicious activity anonymously by calling (313) 943-3030.