A limited number of tickets are still available for the Detroit Historical Society’s Historic Houses of Worship tour on Monday, March 5. The tour will feature the following Dearborn houses of worship: , , the , and .
St. Alphonsus was originally formed by German-speaking families from Westphalia-Rhineland that settled in the area of Warren and Schaeffer between 1825 and 1845. The church, which has been rebuilt on the same property three times, was erected on land donated by the Esper family. The current church features Pewabic tiles, stained glass windows and an alter made of 38 feet of Roman stone and Italian marble.
Christ Episcopal Church was formed when 10 men professing an attachment to the Protestant Episcopal Church signed the Articles of Agreement, agreeing to organize a new parish in 1866. After World War II, it moved from its first location to its current site at Cherry Hill and Military. Many of the church fixtures were donated by the Bryant family.
The Islamic Center of America is one of the oldest Islamic institutions in the United States. First opened in Hamtramck in the 1960s, it moved to its current location in Dearborn in 2005, serving thousands of area Muslims. The mosque is a steel and masonry block structure with a veneer of Arriscraft stone and Indiana limestone, with two 110-foot minarets flanking three domes.
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic was originally founded in 1836 in the community known as Dearbornville. Efforts for a real church began in 1840, and St. John’s was completed by 1848, eventually moving and being renamed Sacred Heart in 1875. Around 1916, the parish moved to the corner of Michigan and Military, where decades of renovations would take place.
Those interested in the history can learn much more by attending the Dearborn Historic Houses of Worship tour.
The tour leaves the Detroit Historical Museum parking lot (Kirby at Woodward) at 10 a.m. and returns at 4 p.m. on March 5. The price, which includes the guided tour, lunch at one of the churches, and a comfortable motorcoach, is $40 for Detroit Historical Society members and $50 for guests. No tickets will be sold on the date of the tour. For reservations or more information on the 2012 tour series, call 313-833-1801 or visit www.detroithistorical.org.