Road trips this Labor Day weekend will be a mixed bag, with many Michigan construction projects suspended to make it easier for drivers to get out of town for one last summer getaway but gas prices up nearly a $1 since last year.
Approximately 1.2 million motorists are expected to travel this holiday weekend, according to AAA Michigan, so the Michigan Department of Transportation has decided to remove lane restrictions on more than half of its road projects from 3 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Tuesday.
"The majority of our work zones will be idle but some areas will have restrictions this weekend," State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle said. "For their own safety, drivers should use caution and watch for lane restrictions and traffic shifts. We want everyone to make it back home safely this holiday weekend."
The Road Commission for Oakland County also will suspend most of its road projects during the same hours.
RCOC Managing Director Brent Bair also has prohibited the hauling of most heavy earth-moving equipment and other large contractor equipment on county roads during the holiday weekend.
While the wide-open roads may come as a relief for drivers, prices at the pump certainly won't.
On the eve of the long holiday weekend, the average price for a gallon of regular gas Thursday in Metro Detroit was $3.83 compared to $2.74 the same day a year ago, according to AAA. Prices throughout Michigan make the state one of the most expensive in which to buy fuel in the United States, the agency reports.
Click here to find the cheapest gas using AAA's Fuel Finder tool.
The following is a list of work zones that will remain active or have lane restrictions during the Labor Day weekend, according to MDOT. Detour routes will be posted as needed.
Visit mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive for real-time updates on traffic backups.
- Easterday Avenue in Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County, will have one lane open over I-75 controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
- I-75, Mackinac County, will have temporary crossovers over Hoban Creek.
- M-26, Houghton County, will have one lane open over the Gooseneck Creek culvert controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
- M-28, Chippewa County, bridge over the Waiska River will have one lane open controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
- M-94 near K.I. Sawyer, Marquette County, bridge over the CN Railroad will be closed. Traffic will be detoured on M-553 and Kelly Johnson Drive.
- US-2, Mackinac County, will have traffic shifts between M-117 and Naubinway.
- US-41 in Menominee, Menominee County, will be closed to all southbound traffic between M-35 and 48th Avenue. No local southbound traffic will be allowed in that area until paving is completed.
- US-141 in Breitung Township, Dickinson County, bridge linking Michigan and Wisconsin will remain closed. Detour on US-141, US-2 and US-8 through Norway.
Northern Lower Peninsula
- M-32 in Alpena, Alpena County, closed from 11th Avenue to 8th Avenue with a posted detour.
- M-68 in Onaway, Presque Isle County, will have a lane shift.
- US-23, Cheboygan County, reduced to one lane controlled by a temporary signal at the culvert replacement project, 3.5 miles west of the Cheboygan/Presque Isle county line.
- US-31, Manistee County, will have shoulders closed from Coates Highway to Maidens Road.
- 36th Street in Wyoming, Kent County, will be closed and detoured at US-131. The US-131 ramp to 36th Street and the 36th Street ramp to southbound US-131 also are closed and detoured. US-131 will have two lanes open in each direction.
- Burton Street in Grand Rapids, Kent County, will be closed and detoured at US-131. Intermittent ramp closures will be in place with posted detours.
- I-196 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, will be shifted under Fuller Avenue with two lanes open in each direction. Fuller Avenue will have one lane open in each direction; a left-turn lane from northbound Fuller Avenue to westbound I-196 will be open. Ramps are open with restrictions: no left turns allowed from southbound Fuller Avenue to the ramp to eastbound I-196; no left turns allowed from the westbound I-196 exit ramp to southbound Fuller Avenue.
- M-21 ( Fulton Street) in Ada, Kent County, will have one lane open in each direction on the temporary bridge over the Grand River.
- M-66 in Ionia, Ionia County, will be reduced to one northbound lane; southbound traffic will be detoured via M-21, Jackson Street, Adams Street, and Steele Street, back to M-66. No oversized vehicles permitted on the detour; only vehicles 10-feet-wide or smaller allowed on northbound M-66.
- M-121 (Chicago Drive) in Hudsonville, Ottawa County, will have one lane open in each direction between Main Street in Zeeland and 40th Avenue.
- US-31, Oceana County, will be reduced to one lane open in each direction from Polk Road in Hart to the Monroe Road interchange into Pentwater; northbound traffic will be shifted to the southbound side. Traffic is separated by concrete barrier wall.
- I-94, Berrien County, will have one lane closed in each direction at Benton Center Avenue, Wilson Road, Warren Woods Road, and East Road.
- I-94, Berrien County, will have one lane closed in each direction at Britain Avenue with a traffic shift; lanes will be separated by concrete median barrier.
- I-94 in Kalamazoo/Portage, Kalamazoo County, will have two lanes open in each direction at Westnedge Avenue. The following ramps are closed:
- Southbound Westnedge Avenue to eastbound I-94
- Southbound Westnedge Avenue to westbound I-94
- Northbound Westnedge Avenue to westbound I-94
- Westbound I-94 to southbound Westnedge Avenue
- Westbound I-94 to northbound Westnedge Avenue
- Eastbound I-94 to northbound Westnedge Avenue
- Southbound Portage Road to westbound I-94
- I-94, Mattawan, Van Buren County, eastbound entrance ramp from Main Street will be closed. Main Street will have one lane open in each direction with a traffic signal.
- I-196, Berrien County, will have a shoulder closed with on-ramp merge lanes closed in each direction at the Red Arrow Highway, Mile Marker 1. The ramps will be open; however, stop signs will be posted at the end of each ramp.
- I-196, Van Buren County, will have one lane open in each direction over County Road 380 (20th Avenue).
- M-99 in Albion, Calhoun County, bridge closed over Kalamazoo River with traffic detoured.
- M-140, Berrien County, will have one lane open in each direction. No vehicles over 10-feet-wide.
- US-12, Cass County, westbound traffic closed at M-40; detoured north on M-40, west on M-60, then south on Calvin Center Road. Eastbound traffic will be maintained. Two-way traffic is maintained between Birch Road and Sunset Boulevard. No overweight vehicles or vehicles over 10-feet-wide. 30 mph speed limit in effect.
- US-31 in Holland, Allegan County, bridge closed over the North Branch Creek with traffic detoured.
Central Michigan and Thumb
- I-69 in Flint, Genesee County, will have two lanes open in each direction with traffic shifted under the following bridges: Grand Traverse Street, Church Street, Beach Street and Saginaw Street
- I-75, Bay County, southbound traffic shifted to northbound lanes from Linwood to Pinconning roads, using a moveable barrier to separate traffic. Wednesday - Saturday: two northbound lanes and one southbound lane will be open. Saturday - Wednesday: two southbound lanes and one northbound will be open.
- I-75, Saginaw and Bay counties, three lanes open in each direction from M-84 to Crane Road. Three northbound and two southbound "express" lanes are shifted and open on the northbound side of the highway; one southbound "local traffic" lane is open on the southbound side. Access to I-675 and M-84 is maintained on the southbound lane.
- I-675, Saginaw County, remains closed from M-13 to Veterans Memorial Highway. Alternate routes include: M-13 to M-81 to I-75, and northbound I-675 to I-75. Downtown access is available via southbound I-675, using the Warren/Jefferson exit.
- I-675, Saginaw County, the Veterans Memorial Parkway bridge remains closed with a posted detour.
- M-13, Saginaw County, remains closed over King Drain with a posted detour.
- M-21, Genesee County, will have one lane open in each direction over Mistequay Creek with traffic shifted to the north half of the bridge.
- M-57, Gratiot County, will have one lane open over Bear Creek with traffic maintained via temporary traffic signals.
- M-84, Bay County, northbound lanes closed from Hotchkiss Avenue to Euclid Avenue with traffic detoured. Southbound lanes will be open from I-75 to Euclid Avenue.
- US-127, Gratiot County, median shoulder closures in effect from M-57 to north of the railroad tracks for resurfacing.
- Kipp Road, Ingham County, is closed over US-127 with traffic detoured. Two lanes of US-127 will be open in each direction with a shoulder closure.
- Page Avenue south of Jackson, Jackson County, has one lane open in each direction over US-127. Two lanes of US-127 will be open in each direction with a shoulder closure under the bridge.
- Spencer Road, Livingston County, has one lane open at US-23 with a temporary signal. All lanes of US-23 are open.
- I-94, Jackson County, has two lanes open in each direction between Sargent Road and the Jackson/Washtenaw county line with traffic shifted to the eastbound side of the highway.
- I-94, Jackson County, eastbound entrance ramp from Sargent Road to I-94 is closed with a detour posted.
- I-94 Business Loop (BL) (Michigan Avenue) in Jackson, Jackson County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift between Lawrence Avenue and M-60.
- M-43 (Grand River Avenue) near Williamston, Ingham County, will have one lane open at Meech Road with a temporary signal, just west of M-52.
- M-43 (Saginaw Highway), Eaton County, will have one lane open in each direction between Marketplace Boulevard, just west of the I-96 interchange, and Canal Road.
- M-43 (Saginaw Highway), Eaton County, two lanes of eastbound traffic will be detoured between Mall Drive and Waverly Road; westbound traffic will be maintained.
- M-60, Jackson County, has one lane open in each direction on the bridge over I-94 BL ( Michigan Avenue). I-94 BL has one lane open in each direction under the bridge.
- M-71, Shiawassee County, is closed over I-69 with a detour posted.
- M-100 (Wright Road) near Grand Ledge, Clinton County, is closed at I-96, including the westbound on and off ramps, with traffic detoured. I-96 will have two lanes open in each direction with a shoulder closure.
- US-223 east of Blissfield, Lenawee County, has one lane of traffic open using a temporary traffic signal at two separate locations near Riga Highway and Lipp Highway.
City of Detroit
- M-39 (Southfield Freeway) will have following restrictions:
- M-39 is closed in both directions between M-5 (Grand River Avenue) and M-10 (Lodge Freeway) for reconstruction. Traffic detoured via US-24 (Telegraph Road).
- M-39 is down to one lane in both directions between M-5 and I-94 for ongoing construction.
- I-96 eastbound and westbound ramps to northbound M-39 are closed and detoured via US-24.
- Local roads closed over M-39 with detours posted include, Fullerton Avenue, Seven Mile Road, West Chicago Avenue, Puritan Avenue, Pembroke Avenue and Curtis Street
- M-85 (Fort Street) is closed in both directions between Schaefer Road and Oakwood Boulevard for ongoing reconstruction. Traffic detoured via I-75.
- Crooks Road will be down to one lane in each direction over M-59.
- I-96 has three lanes open in each direction between Milford Road and Kent Lake Road, with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted. In addition, the northbound and southbound Kent Lake Road ramps to westbound I-96 are closed.
- M-5 right lanes closed in each direction between Purdue Street and 8 Mile Road.
- M-59 has two lanes open in each direction between Crooks and Opdyke roads with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted . Also, the eastbound M-59 ramp to northbound I-75 is closed.
St. Clair County
- I-94/I-96 project area will have following restrictions in place:
- Water Street entrance ramp to eastbound I-94/I-69 is closed with a detour posted.
- I-94/I-69 eastbound exit to Water Street is closed with a detour posted.
- I-94/I-69 has two lanes open in each direction between the Black River Bridge and Lapeer Road with a traffic shift and reduced speeds posted.
- Riverside Drive is closed under I-94/I-69 and detoured.
- The northbound Lapeer connector is closed from Lapeer Road to I-94/I-69.
- - I-94 left shoulders closed in each direction at 11 Mile Road for bridge work.
- - I-696 project area will have following restrictions: I-696 has shoulder closures in both directions between M-53 (Van Dyke Avenue) and M-97 (Groesbeck Highway) for ongoing bridge construction; Schoenherr Road is down to one lane in each direction; M-97 is down to one lane in each direction; Hoover Road is down to one lane in each direction; Bunert Road is closed with a posted detour.
- M-3 (Gratiot Avenue) is reduced to two lanes in each direction between Crocker Boulevard and Clinton River Drive.
- M-3 southbound bridge over the Clinton River is closed for bridge replacement with a posted detour.
- M-85 (Fort Street) has the northbound right lane closed from Pennsylvania Road to Eureka Road.
- I-94 has shoulder closures in each direction under Belleville Road. Also, Belleville Road is down to a single lane in each direction above I-94.