Oakwood Common to Host Veterans Aid Workshop

The Nov. 29 workshop is free to attend.

Oakwood Common invites wartime veterans, surviving spouses and caregivers to a Veterans Aid and Attendance workshop from 6:30-8:00 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 29.

The free workshop helps individuals, families and caregivers learn how to seek funds to cover the cost of senior housing, homecare or nursing home care.  It will be held in the Rotunda Room of the retirement community, which is located at 16351 Rotunda Drive in Dearborn.

The Veterans Aid and Attendance Pension benefit provides up to $1,704/month for wartime veterans, up to $1,095/month for surviving spouses and up to $2,020/month for a married veteran.

“This workshop helps individuals learn about valuable resources and funds that may make a difference in when and where they decide to retire,” said Mary Granata, director of sales for Oakwood Common. “

Beth Marshall and Dwight Cloutier from the Veteran Support Center will conduct the workshop presentations. Representatives from Oakwood’s Senior Care Solutions will also participate, including how this benefit can apply to home care.

For more details and to make a reservation to attend this free workshop, call 313-253-9597.

Suzanne Marie November 24, 2012 at 06:21 PM
Vets you need to know the following if you are considering Oakwood Common Assisted Living. The term assisted-living facility or its acronym ALF is a marketing term only and not a legal one. Most people living in ALF’s are the elderly and infirmed and due to their vulnerability have the greatest chance for being abused or exploited. In an effort to prevent negative actions from occurring to this population, the State of Michigan has a license in place to oversee institutions that take care of people living in ALF’s. This license is called an HFA (Home for Aged) by the State of Michigan / Michigan Act 368. When an assisted living facility does not have an HFA license this means the facility is NOT held accountable for how they treat their residents and there isn’t any over-sight of this facility by an independent agency. This can make for a very unsafe environment for you or your loved one to be in. Oakwood Common Assisted-Living chose a loophole instead of a license by outsourcing their foodservice to a company headquartered in Georgia. Henry Ford Village Assisted-Living is a HFA licensed facility. Below is the State of Michigan’s website to find HFA licensed facilities. http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/brs_afc/sr_afc.asp (On the drop down menu pick - Home for Aged) The site below list questions to ask when seeking info on an ALF. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dhs/ Assisted_Living_Disclosure_Form_313179_7.pdf
George Novoson December 02, 2012 at 08:30 PM
I would recommend that most caregivers of veterans get help when submitting an application for the Aid and Attendance benefit. There are services available that are no cost to the veteran or the family to help them submit the application. They can help get things done quickly. In particular, if you are in need of home care, there is a service to help the veteran start receiving home care while waiting for the application to be approved. You can find more information at http://www.HelpforAgingVeterans.com George Novoson


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something