Renovations Begin on Former Cheli's Chili Bar in Dearborn

Nar Bar, a sports and cigar bar, will open at 21918 Michigan Ave. in west Dearborn later this year.

Nar Bar will open at 21918 Michigan Ave. by the end of the year. Photo Credit: Daniel Lai.
Nar Bar will open at 21918 Michigan Ave. by the end of the year. Photo Credit: Daniel Lai.
Passersby walking along Michigan Avenue in west Dearborn may have noticed a few changes recently taking place at the former Cheli's Chili Bar.

Gone are the trademark red and beige paint, the Detroit Red Wings hockey mural and the Cheli's logo on the building's exterior. The building features an all-brown facade as part of a facelift by its new owner.

Najib Rizk, owner of Le Cigar Emporium purchased the building in February, according to the city's Commercial Services Division. 

Talking with Patch.com, Rizk said he plans to renovate the building into a sports/cigar bar.

"It will be similar to Cheli's except we will be adding a cigar lounge," he said.

If all goes to plan, Cheli's will be renamed Nar Bar and will include 30 TVs, and a sports bar menu featuring hamburgers and sandwiches.

Rizk said he hopes to have the business open by the end of the year.

"There is still a lot of work to do in the next 60 to 90 days. We still have to transfer the licenses, work with the city to finalize building plans, and begin renovations of the interior," he said.

Rizk said he wanted to paint the building's exterior to make it more welcoming for visitors to west Dearborn.

"People told us that they were tired of the ugly building colors," Rizk said. "Response from the neighboring businesses has been very positive so far."

Cheli's Chili Bar, which has been an anchor of the west downtown district for 10 years, closed its doors on Feb. 20.
Marci August 30, 2013 at 09:36 AM
How will they separate cigar and hookahs from food and alchohol? Still haven't figured out what separates Dearborn from the rest of the State. No food can be served in same establishment as hookah or cigars.
Mikey D. December 20, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Marci, I think you have posted this question before. It is a myth that "No food can be served in same establishment as hookah or cigars." Cigar bars, which is what this will be, have to make 10% of their revenue from cigar sales or humidor rentals. The other 90% can be food, alcohol or balloons. There is a cigar bar in Birmingham that is a steakhouse with full smoking and a bar, fully legal. No separate room required. Tobacco shops cannot "serve" food, but they can allow consumption on-site.
Dearborn Mom January 20, 2014 at 02:08 PM
New article out in the Press and Guide on this. I can't figure out if this place is a true bar, and if they have a liquor licence or not. Eating with cigar smell does not sound appealing. But at least those people who like the smell of cigars can enjoy it. I hope it is a success.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »