.

How Safe is Dearborn?

Dearborn has been ranked as the 69th safest place to live in Michigan, according to the real estate site, Movoto.

Patch file photo.
Patch file photo.
How safe is Dearborn?  

Dearborn has been ranked as the 69th safest place to live in Michigan, according to the real estate site, Movoto.

The website studied crime statistics to find the safest places to live in Michigan. To create the ranking, the company looked at FBI crime stats from 2012, and selected cities with a population of 10,000 or more leaving them with 102 total locations, according to the study

Movoto then looked at three criteria: violent crime (rape, murder, assault), property crime (theft, burglary, motor vehicle thefts), and the chance a resident will be a victim of crime. 

Violent crime made up 50 percent of the ranking, property crime made up 30 percent, and a resident’s chances of being the victim of a crime made up 20 percent.

So how did Dearborn's ranking compare to its neighbors?

Grosse Ile Township: 1
Riverview: 8
Trenton: 18
Wyandotte: 41
Garden City: 53
Dearborn Heights: 56
Dearborn: 69
Melvindale: 76
Taylor: 81
Lincoln Park: 89
Detroit: 100

The Top 10 Safest Places in Michigan, according to Movoto were:

1. Grosse Ile Township
2. Hamburg Township
3. South Lyon
3. Village of Milford
5. City of Berkley
6. City of New Baltimore
7. Bloomfield Township
8. City of Riverview
8. West Bloomfield Township
10. City of Rochester


"When all was said and done, Grosse Ile turned out to be our safest place," reports Movoto. "What about the most dangerous? It was Benton Harbor. This city had a total of 1,100 reported crimes for just over 10,000 residents; so, residents here had a 1 in 9 chance of being the victim of a crime."

View the full list online here.
Lee Jacobsen January 24, 2014 at 07:52 PM
No surprise here. The closer you live to Detroit , the less safe your existence. Crooks know that most Detroit residents are now armed, and seek victims elsewhere, which are the neighboring communities. Grosse Isle, an island, is near Detroit but has a water barrier and is too much trouble to mess with.
Your taxes pay my salary January 24, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Milford 3rd safest? The Detroit episode of Drugs Inc. said that Milford was a hot bed for heroin.
Lee Jacobsen January 25, 2014 at 02:26 AM
Your taxes... think about it. If you are a drug king pin in Milford, and this is speculation on my part by the way, (my friends in Milford say it is a great place to live) you would have the police in some sort of control, and plenty of additional muscle of your own to keep things peaceful, like 3rd safest. Also, no one normally trashes or settles disputes where they live, the body count would be elsewhere. Of course, my source of expertise is questionable, being the 'Justified' show which actually features Detroit as the hot bed of heroin, the Detroit folk being on the crude side, doing a little 'chainsawing' to keep the Canadian faction in line.
Rachel L January 25, 2014 at 01:33 PM
Drug use doesn't seem to be a factor in here anyway. Many drug users aren't committing violent crimes, or crimes against personal property. They are doing something illegal, sure, but this isn't a ranking of all crime. Besides which, you can't count it if they aren't caught. I actually think what we can learn from this is that these types of crime often come because of poverty. What can we do to help that? How can we help our neighbors who are struggling so they don't have to be tempted to steal in order to keep their lights on or buy food?
Carol January 25, 2014 at 02:09 PM
I agree - no surprises here. Drug users (addicts) commit many of the theft crimes
Patrice A January 25, 2014 at 03:12 PM
Maybe they should compare cities by size and population, it does make a difference.
Your taxes pay my salary January 25, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Actually Rachel most thefts are committed by drugs addicts looking to support their habit.
Lee Jacobsen January 25, 2014 at 04:14 PM
'Your taxes' has a good point, drug addicts are probably doing most of the thefts to control their habit. One solution? Follow the lead of the Superbowl cities , and states, (CO and WA) and make drugs a controlled substance, sold under govt supervision. The lotteries used to be illegal, look at them now. Gambling casinos used to be illegal in Detroit, not anymore. Alcohol used to be illegal, go into any liquor store, each bottle has a Federal tax stamp on it, the govt getting its' very large tax cut. Weed is now legal in CO and WA, and many other states are thinking about it as another way to raise revenue. The big losers? Organized crime. Costs will come way down for weed, aka CO and WA, and the profit margin will be nil. The winners? Heroin and Cocaine users. The govt will provide standards for good stuff at a cost one tenth of what it is now, and control who can buy it. They will also know who has a drug problem, and can keep an eye on them. That means no kids, just like smoking and drinking laws today. The govt can also promote programs to help folk with habits, and , since the govt will control who supplies the hard drugs, say goodbye to Columbia, Turkey, and Mexico as suppliers as the profit margin will no longer be enough for them to export and get rich, along with the drug cartels. End result? The War on Drugs can be won the same way the war on Gambling was won, make it a govt income revenue stream. Outlandish? Already happening. Well, perhaps weird only if the Super bowl players get busted for possessing their legal pot in NJ, where it is still illegal.!!
RcA January 25, 2014 at 09:11 PM
You bring up an interesting point, Rachel. When I purchased my home it became apparent that someone was going through my trash cans while they were at the curb. The police informed me that there was nothing they could do about it, which theoretically is correct. The next week, I used a flood light to make the gentlemen uncomfortable as he dug through my cans, which resulted in him passing my house the next garbage day. Last week something interesting happened, to my surprise. Very early in the morning a neighbor was going through cans. He was digging very deep and taking full garbage bags with him. The point is that the problem is more local. Perhaps sixty percent of crime is being perpetrated by residents and the remainder by non residents.
Lee Jacobsen January 26, 2014 at 01:15 PM
RCA, what are you tossing in the trash that still has value? Perhaps those neighbors can't stand the fact that you don't recycle and are helping you out to save the planet. Almost everything can be recycled in this day and age. Regarding jobs, are folk going to the temp agencies? That is where most employers go to hire folk, not for just short term , but long term. The idea is to use a temp agency to let both employer and employee check each other out for a 'fit'. For example, I look for folk with skills marginal at best, but a great positive attitude. A very skillful person with a piss poor attitude is not worth the trouble. I can train the person with a good attitude, and the value of a temp agency is that both sides can evaluate over a time period. Everyone has a great attitude the first day on the job. Let's see that same positive attitude 120 days later. The ones that stick it out get hired. The more skills they learn, the more value they are to the company, and the more they can be paid. Don't expect to start at the top, although, after one month, if the multiple skills and attitude are there, sometimes the pay jump can be dramatic. One chap was hired to watch a press run, and turn it off when it had 'issues', a $14 per hour job. Turns out he was an expert tool maker, but no one knew it until he offered to fill in for a guy on vacation. He was outstanding! His pay more than doubled as a result. Temp agencies give employers and employees a chance to learn and evaluate both sides. Some bosses are SOBs. With a temp agency, you have a choice to go somewhere better. On another note, Careful with the 'homeless, please help' sign folk at intersections. They can make good money, tax free, and when they get into their Escalade and drive off, don't forget to close your mouth. Just another scam, but a good one, and one that hurts the truly homeless. Regarding drugs and crime, if the USA controlled their use and sale, like CO and WA, the profit would disappear, and the true winners would be us, much less petty crime to support drug habits and a lot less folk in jail, which also costs us an average of $35,000 per inmate. We could use Benny Napoleon's new jail fiasco for other purposes.
RcA January 26, 2014 at 02:38 PM
Lee, that is the disturbing part, there is not one thing of value in my trash. I feel as if these garbage shopping escapades are speculative in nature. How many cans would one have to dig through until they found information or receipts that could be used for financial fraud?
Lee Jacobsen January 26, 2014 at 05:40 PM
RCA, you bring up an excellent point, trash diving for financial fraud. I use a shredder, and just assumed that everyone else did the same thing to make sure their reciepts, bills , etc were destroyed. We all watch the movies and see the investigators going through trash, a right they have since it is on the curb, on city property. Easy way to get info. Of course, it was also assumed that folk locked their cars and remove the keys, but we all make mistakes, and for miscreants, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Michael D. Albano January 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Every study I have ever read states that most criminals are substance abusers.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something