After the recent spate in extreme cold and excessive snow fall, the Dearborn Fire Department is offering the following tips to stay safe this winter.
- Wear lightweight clothing in multiple layers. Gloves and hats are especially important to help prevent loss of body heat.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Space heaters should only be used on flat, hard surfaces with a 3-foot minimum distance away from anything flammable.
- Turn off space heaters and/or extinguish fires in the fireplace prior to going to bed or leaving the house.
- Never use the oven to heat your house.
- Always use generators correctly and in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Check on neighbors and family members who may require assistance.
- Shoveling snow should be done in short sessions with frequent breaks to warm up. Those with medical conditions which prohibit extreme exertion should avoid shoveling and seek out assistance from family members or friends.
- Always keep a battery operated emergency radio in the house to get updates on emergency declarations or extreme weather precautions should you lose power.
For more safety tips from the Dearborn Fire Department contact email@example.com.