Your Guide to the 2012 Arab International Festival
Music, food, carnival rides and more–here's a look at what's happening and when at the festival, which runs June 15-17.
The Arab International Festival returns this weekend on Warren Avenue in Dearborn for the 18th year.
For three days, the festival converts 14 blocks into a cultural celebration, rich with diversity, food, arts and entertainment. Admission is free.
Bring the entire family to enjoy food with international flavor from the Middle East and beyond, live music and performances, carnival rides, midway games, henna designs, crafts and jewelry.
Entertainment includes singers Bassam Saleh, Elias Haddad, Mahmood Beydoun, Safa Dahan, Mohamed Abo Sumayeh, Assad Hassan, Jad Madi, Chadi Hachem, Adel Adeeb, Joseph Bashara, Ali Mcheik, Layalina Dabke Group.
It also includes an appearance by Ms. Arab USA Christina Rafidia, Arab Idol and food contests and performances by students from Star International Academy and Universal Learning Academy.
Entertainment is coordinated by Bassam Entertainment.
The free festival, hosted by the American Arab Chamber of Commerce, runs 5-10 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday.
Here’s a look at the weekend lineup, including live music and dance, carnival rides and contests.
Happening All Weekend
- Dozens of food vendors serving international flavors from the Middle East and beyond
- Carnival rides, a Ferris wheel and games
- A children’s tent with face painting, clowns, puppeteers and dance
- Crafts, arts, henna design, jewelry and more for sale
- Arab Idol contest and performances by local students
Friday, June 15
- Performances by students from International Start Academy and Universal Learning Academy
- VIP Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- Appearance by Ms. Arab USA Christina Rafidia
Saturday, June 16
- Dance groups, 3 p.m.
- Hot dog eating contest, 3:30 p.m.
- Arab Idol contest, 4-6 p.m.
- Ms. Arab USA Christina Rafidia
- Local singers and performers
- Layalina Dabke Group
Sunday, June 17
- Dance groups
- Local singers
For more information on the festival or the American Arab Chamber of Commerce, visit www.americanarab.com.