What Are Michigan's 2012 Ballot Proposals?
On Nov. 6, Dearborn voters will face yes or no vote on six statewide proposals, ranging from a new bridge to Canada to the emergency manager law.
Michigan voters will have to make many decisions in the November election, including yes or no votes on six state proposals on issues that range from a new bridge to Canada to collective bargaining.
Here are the six state proposals on the Nov. 6 ballot in Michigan.
- Proposal 12-1: The Emergency Manager Law would expand the powers of emergency managers in municipalities and school districts and allow the governor to appoint emergency managers.
- Proposal 12-2: Right to Collective Bargaining is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would make collective bargaining a right for public and private workers.
- Proposal 12-3: Renewable Energy Standard is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would require 25 percent of the state’s electricity to come from renewable energy sources.
- Proposal 12-4: Quality Home Care is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would give home health care workers limited collective bargaining rights.
- Proposal 12-5: Limit Enactment of New State Taxes is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would require a two-thirds majority of the state legislature or a statewide vote to raise state taxes.
- Proposal 12-6: Require Vote on International Bridges is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would require a statewide vote to build international bridges or tunnels. This would affect the New International Trade Crossing (or new bridge to Canada).
Want more election news this November? Click here to sign up for the Dearborn Patch newsletter!
Several local groups have taken a stance on some of the ballot issues.
- The Arab American Political Action Committee's slate for the Nov. 6 election urges residents to vote down all proposals except Prop. 2.
- ACCESS has taken a position on proposals 2, 4 and 6. They support home health care and the "Protect Our Jobs" amendment, but are against the bridge proposal.
- Dearborn Firefighters Local 412 has come out in support of proposal 2.
How would you vote on these proposals?