Today in Dearborn: July 21
Five things you need to know to start your day in Dearborn.
Ready to start your day? Here's what you need to know.
1. One hundred. No, it's not the amount of money you'll get for reading this. But it is pretty close to what the temperature will be today, says the National Weather Service. And it'll feel much hotter. Normally we'd suggest you enjoy the warmth. But honestly? You're better off to just stay inside today.
2. The Fordson High School class of 2013 will be hosting a summer picnic at Hemlock Park from 1 to 4 p.m. The event is put on by the Students Taking Action Today group and will include food and discussions about preparing for junior year, prepping for the ACT and getting ready for college.
3. The Knights of Columbus will be holding a steak cookout from 5 to 8 p.m. at their Fr. Patrick O'Kelley Council #3860 lounge. For $10, attendees can enjoy a 12-ounce New York strip steak, baked potato and salad. Live entertainment will be provided, as well as desserts made by area youth groups.
4. The Parking Advisory Commission meeting originally scheduled for Wednesday will be held today at 3 p.m. at the Dearborn Welcome Center, which is located on the first floor of the Bryant Branch Library.
5. In honor of Dearborn's automotive heritage, we bring you Ford Facts. Today's fact: Why is Fordson High School's mascot the Tractors? They're so named after the tractors made by Henry Ford and son (Get it? Ford-son) starting in 1907 under Ford Motor Company.